At Bodify, we may specialize in CoolSculpting to help men and women look their best, but we also care about the overall health and wellness of all of our clients. This holiday season, more than ever, it’s important to stay healthy, so here are some tips we’ve rounded up to help you combat sickness this holiday season.
How to Combat Sickness This Holiday Season
There is a lot to love about the holidays, especially considering the rough year we’ve all had. For many, the time between Thanksgiving and New Years’ is a time to indulge in amazing comfort foods and enjoy cocktails with friends and family. We’ve recently covered some of our Tips For Eating Healthy During the Holidays, but staying healthy goes beyond just eating well. During this time of year, there can be extra stress and less time to prioritize your health, and all of those factors can weaken your immune system and have a lasting negative impact on your overall health and wellness. While we aren’t medical professionals and advise you to always consult with your doctor about your health concerns, here are some general tips for prioritizing your health and safety this holiday season:
- Drink plenty of water. The weather has finally cooled off in Phoenix, but that doesn’t mean you should neglect chugging your water! Not only does water help combat weight gain, but it also helps boost your immune system. When you stay hydrated, you more easily remove toxins from your body and help deliver nutrients to your organs via your bloodstream.
- Keep moving! Exercise is vital for both physical and mental health, and the holidays are not a time to skip the gym or be sedentary. We know it’s a stressful time of year, but exercise can offset any indulging as well as boost endorphins and feel-good neurotransmitters like serotonin. One of the best things you can do is prioritize physical activity during this busy time of year.
- Prioritize your sleep. We know you want to stay up late watching Hallmark Christmas movies, but consistently getting a good night’s rest can do wonders for both physical and mental health. According to the National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute, “Sleep plays an important role in your physical health. For example, sleep is involved in the healing and repair of your heart and blood vessels. Ongoing sleep deficiency is linked to an increased risk of heart disease, kidney disease, high blood pressure, diabetes, and stroke.”
- Get a flu shot. The holidays overlap with flu season, and the CDC recommends that everyone 6 months and older should get a flu vaccine each year. Vaccinating against a preventable illness is especially important this year, as many hospitals are already overcrowded with COVID patients.
- Wash your hands. Ahhh, the unofficial motto of 2020. If you haven’t learned it yet – one of the best ways to prevent sickness is to frequently wash your hands with soap and clean running water for at least 20 seconds – go on, sing a rendition of “Jingle Bells” while you do so.
- Manage stress. Give yourself a break when you feel the stress pile on, or when you feel overwhelmed, and your emotions are out of control. Some of the best ways to manage stress are to find support, connect socially, and get plenty of rest.
- Create moments for mindfulness. Every day, take a few moments for gratitude. 2020 has been a tough year for many of us, but taking the time to be thankful for family, friends, your health, your job, and any other blessings can help to combat stress and negativity. Research shows that expressing gratitude can even improve mood disorders, such as anxiety and depression, and pausing to reflect on the good in your life can set a positive tone for your day.
CoolSculpting: A Great Supplement to Your Healthy Lifestyle
CoolSculpting can be an excellent addition to your healthy lifestyle this holiday season. Many of the clients at Bodify, Arizona’s premier CoolSculpting boutique, are dedicated to their health and fitness—and our noninvasive treatments can support your health and wellness goals. Schedule your consultation to learn more about how we can help you look and feel your best!